• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Briksins

How is that real?

This topic is 2995 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum and new to game developing so don't be very strict.

a Bit of background:

at this stage I'm study in college on "Computer Science" course, successfully proceed to year 3 and have summer break now.
At the end of 4d year we will have to do Final project and i decide to choice game developing, so I have more 2 years in advance before submit.

My SKILLS:

Programming:
so far I did 2 years of programming "C" in college
and half year of "C++". I really follow this subject and my overall score is 84% out of 100.
Databases:
Oracle SQL
Networking:
CCNA1/CCNA2
WebDev:
Basic HTML

Next year will gain:
Java
Network Programming

Addition Skills:
Autodesk Maya 2011 - very beginning (23GB of tutorials video)
Music Development:
ACID Pro + VSTi instruments

IDEA:
I'm willing to develop game for iPhone platform, some kind of MMORPG, but not so big, without world, just limit to the map size, where in one session will be max 6 people, and of course lobby where players joining sessions, chat and so on...
All players progress will be recorded in DB after/during each game session and effect future gameplay.

Graphic:
in my imagination I see something similar to the "Dungeon Hunter"
Picture: http://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/059/Purple/24/f8/7a/mzl.lxviqevt.320x480-75.jpg
by the word "similar" I mean at list view from the top, and the way control works

Questions:
1) How is that real to do it on my own for next 2 years? (by the college rules project have to be complete on your own.) or may be I'm just flying in the inspired clouds??? :)

2) What kind of skills I will have to gain more in case to achieve this given task?

3) What about graphic engine? I'm pure Windows user and don't really want to move on Mac and spend time on learning new OS.
How about:
a) ShiVa 3D - Off. Website: http://www.stonetrip.com
b) Unity 3D - Off. Website: http://unity3d.com/

4) How Should I start? I never develop any games and have very basic understanding how it works, I have no idea how to start, what to do and where to read...
I believe I should start from game design? what does it include? how to do this design and plan?

I'm thinking now you understand my mess in the head :)
So if you have some advice for me and can direct me in the right direction please do so!

P.S. I would like to say a lot of thanxs in advance for all of those who will read this topic and will replay to me with useful answers!

Advertisement
So you don't want to make a MMORPG, you want to make a networked RPG. MMORPG is just a buzz word that's used to often, the first M stands for massive, and with 6 players, and limited map sizes, it really doesn't qualify.

1st step is to learn objective c, which once you get used to the absurd syntax, is quite easy.

If you have no game dev experience, this will be a fairly difficult project to pull off, but anything easy ain't worth doing.

Yeas, exactly it is not mmorpg but it not single player also, it will connect max 6 players together in limited map space for game time duration.

Whay exactly objective C? Im sure i will be able understand it with no problems but why not than C++?

What about rest of my questions? Or that topic sounds very silly for communoty? But how than i will learn something if nobody replay on my silly questions ;)

Quote:
Original post by Briksins
Whay exactly objective C? Im sure i will be able understand it with no problems but why not than C++?

iPhone = objective C. Nothing else, as per apple developer rules.

Quote:
Nothing else, as per apple developer rules.

Actually, the rules also allow for C or C++ code. There are a few games in the AppStore that used no Objective-C at all.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!