• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zolacat999

Browser based game

This topic is 2998 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi,

been working on a browser based game using php for a while now and I've made some progress, i've got all the login sorted as well as some shops and a very basic combat system and I can change towns but only by a link name and is what I would like to do is to be able to have an interactive map but I have no idea how I would go about doing this. To try to make what I want to do more clear if anyone has ever played games like Evony or Tribal Wars you can see all of the cities and interact with the world through a map. Im just completely stumped about how to start going about this. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
If your game map is largely static you could do this using an image map, maybe using javascript or one of PHPs image libraries to provide some basic animation to the map. But, having not used PHP or javascript in a game development context, I can't really say the extent of what can be achieved using these technologies. I guess it would be up to your creativity as a programmer.

For anything more complex you should probably consider using something client side, such as Flash or a Java applet, which will provide you with a nice set of graphics routines, among other things. I don't know about Flash, but with Java you should be able to interface with your database as well.

Quote:
Original post by magorian
For anything more complex you should probably consider using something client side, such as Flash or a Java applet, which will provide you with a nice set of graphics routines, among other things. I don't know about Flash, but with Java you should be able to interface with your database as well.

This is an incredibly bad idea, you should NEVER let the client access your database directly, use sockets to connect to a proper server or have the flash/java client to request the data from the webserver.

Ah right thanks for the so it maybe worth looking into a java option, it doesn't need to be really advanced just not look awful and be functional and easy to use

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!