my 2d shooter (stopped developing)

Started by
4 comments, last by g-force game engine 13 years, 9 months ago
i would like some people to try it and give me some comments on it.
i have stopped working on this as i have on most of my games! i have no inspiration, and no artists. i get bored quickly and i hate getting bored!

if anyone would like to know how i coded a certain part: i'll share some code snippets. if anyone is interested in helping me with this project i will not turn them down.

currently there can be up to 256 active ai ingame at any single time, just let them grow and see. player is on no collision mode but his bullets are not.

play keys:
space bar -> shoot forward
up arrow -> shoot up
left and right -> moves player backwards and forwards.

download link:
2d shooter.zip

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Advertisement
I like the old-school controls :D but there were far too many enemies to deal with though (though, you had to test the AI capabilities), so from a design point of view that was a problem.

If you wanted to add to it, a timeline class would be a nice way of spawning the enemies so they have "formations". Timelines would let you provide the player with some non-random challenges and would be quite good once the player was able to take damage - they could remember what comes next in the "level" and get more skilled to be able to take on the challenge.

Other next-step improvements would be multi-layered backgrounds scrolling of different speeds. That would make a big difference to the graphical appeal.

I suffer from getting bored of particular projects too, but I always know in my head that I would be able to complete them well if I had the commitment. As long as you know in your mind what the possibilities from an abandoned task were you have learned some necessary skills and that is what is important :D So giving up isn't always a bad thing if you feel you can move onto something more complex because of what you had achieved.

The first sdl game I made spawned boxes at the top of the screen at a random x co-ordinate and you had to click on them before they reached the bottom. The longer the game went on the faster the boxes started moving, so the challenge scaled over time. I then went on to add a HUD with lives drawn at the top left, when you ran out (lose a life when a box touches the bottom of the screen) the game restarted. I abandoned sdl after that project and now I am learning OpenGL. I am glad I made that little game because I needed to know some C fundamentals before moving on to OpenGL (I had used Game Maker a lot in the past).
i wanted to see/show off! how much ai the game and pc could control without messing up.

i might add to it but i don't use c++, i'm stuck with c for now and i can tell how it affects me with big projects!

i'm thinking about opengl too but directx keeps getting in the way and i'm left deciding what to go for instead of learning an api.

thanks, i'll keep your advice in mind.
A few suggestions, you can take'em as challenges to improve this game.
-Fix the points that appear in the corners of the player sprite.
-Make that when you walk backwards the sprite is mirrored, or make slower movement.
-Implement diagonal shooting.
I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted
Quote:Original post by klefebz
A few suggestions, you can take'em as challenges to improve this game.
-Fix the points that appear in the corners of the player sprite.
-Make that when you walk backwards the sprite is mirrored, or make slower movement.
-Implement diagonal shooting.

i need an artist to do 3rd one and the points are for debug purposes.
i could make it slower when walking bacwards.
once you give up, it means nothing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement