• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
00chris00

Which network programing book to pick?

This topic is 2996 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!
I know that I am not the first one asking this question, and I have seen many as many book reviews as I could before starting this topic. I've heared good things about "TCP/IP Illustrated" and "Unix Network Programming", and as I was ready to click the "add to cart" button I noticed the release date! Both books were published more than a decade ago. And now I am writing this...

I am not interested in an API-specific book, as I can find tutorials and references online.

I am looking for a book that covers the necessary theory, and has working, object-oriented (if possible) practical examples. If no such book exists, I will propably get 2 books, as it is very important for me to understand how a network really works.

So, I am wondering, can you recomend a good and not outdated book for network programing? Or should I get the ones I mentioned above?

My preferred programing languages are C++ and php.

Thank you in advance :)

Advertisement
TCP has been around for almost 40 years, so a book that's 10 years old can still be very good. TCP Illustrated will give you the fundamentals, such that you can then read up on any variations from the appropriate specification documents.

Note that "object oriented" is not really that applicable when it comes to protocol design. Protocol design is all about what's in the packets on the wire, which really is just a sequence of bytes. "objectifying" an array of bytes is not really helpful when it comes to illustrative purposes.

There are a number of RFC documents that define the actual behavior of TCP. You can google for "TCP RFP" if you want to get the information from the horse's mouth.

Yes, you are propably right, protocols do not come and go so fast. I am going to order the 3rd edition of "Unix Network Programing" first and see whether it covers my needs.

Thanx!

My uncle once told me and I will tell you. TCP/IP Illustrated is a must. that book will tell you all you need to know on the protocol. its not a programming book it does not cover programming. Its all about theory.

Those books are all fine.

Don't limit yourself to a single book. Reading a variety of books on any subject can give useful insights you would not learn from any single source.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!