• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
toony

OpenGL where can i get openGL 3.x header file

This topic is 3077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

anybody knows if opengl 3.x comes with an official header file? i've tried looking on the official opengl website but i can't find it anywhere.
i know gleee and glew can be used but i'd like the official if it exists.

and one more thing: is the header file all i will need to compile opengl 3.x programs? (i got the latest drivers for my gfx card).

Advertisement
Everything (2.1 header plus extension headers, or 3.x headers) is here: http://www.opengl.org/registry/.

You can compile 3.x programs using the 2.1 headers (and the extension headers), or the 3.x headers. You will also need an import library, which either comes with your compiler or in the unlikely case that there is none can be created with a tool such as reimp from the opengl32.dll.

p.s.: You should plan at least for a few weeks of work to get this working, if you don't know where to start. Using GLEW or glee could really make your life easier. It's not the most efficient way, but it's as much trouble as including one file and calling one init function, you can't get much better than that.

thanks a lot! very useful stuff.

how about a book on opengl 3.x for beginners?? i have the opengl red book 7th edition but the code they supply is incomplete!

Unluckily, I don't know a single good book. The ones I know all start with 15 year old stuff, and then maybe, if you are lucky, tell you about 3.x.

Good idea. The specification is on the same page that I've linked above. It's a bit dry, but probably the least "old crud" encumbered thing you'll find. Plus, it's free. :-)

You will need to have a look at the extension to create a 3.x context too. There are a dozen or so tutorials on creating contexts on the internet too.

Note that there are two versions of the spec, one containing the deprecated functionality and one without it. I'd go for the second, unless you specifically need some deprecated functionality. Core OpenGL 3.3/4.0 (depending on your hardware) plus nvidia's DSA extension is the way to go in most situations starting from scratch or doing a complete rebuild.

If you go to opengl.org, at the top, you need to hover over Documentation and click on Specifications and there you have all the spec files since GL 1.1 as pdf files. This isn't exactly great to learn the API although its great to have a look.

samoth link is good because it points you to that all important extension.

There is also the Wiki at www.opengl.org/wiki

Quote:
Original post by Prune
Note that there are two versions of the spec, one containing the deprecated functionality and one without it. I'd go for the second, unless you specifically need some deprecated functionality. Core OpenGL 3.3/4.0 (depending on your hardware) plus nvidia's DSA extension is the way to go in most situations starting from scratch or doing a complete rebuild.

if i can tell which is which i will too. :)

noob questions, but thanks anyway.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!