• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xxDAFFOxx

How would i go about making thid game in SDL?

This topic is 2902 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a newbie to gamesdev so i didn't know where to put my question sorry!
Anyho i am a beginner to games programming and wondered what game i should start out with making. ( i have a idea for a asteroids style game or a escape the room game) i would prefer the escape the room game. i am using dev c++ and/or visual c++ and SDL. how would i go about starting this.:)

Advertisement
Well
  1. search for Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials.
  2. don't use Dev-C++. Either use Code::Blocks or Visual C++ Developer
  3. do everything in Lazy Foo's tutorial, from beginning to end
  4. then, make asteroids. because it is not a bad starting game. It's simple enough and it touches upon all of the basic needs of a game.

Thanks for the great help! i was already starting my way through Lazy Foo's tutorials but i shall do what you posted and hopefully be on my way to making a asteroids style game.

I just wanted to say that, while LazyFoo's tutorials are quite good, as a beginner to SDL I wanted to rip my keyboard to shreds for some reason when going through his most beginner ones.

If I recall correctly, I enjoyed this guy's tutorials the most:
http://www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/2dtutorials/index.html

If you've got no problem with LazyFoo's tuts then go on ahead with what you're doing, that's just a little something that might come in handy while you learn :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!