• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maya18222

Level Construction

This topic is 2991 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there an application I can use to create levels using something like the Unreal Editor, but then export the BSP maps?

Obviously the issue here is the format that is exported from the tool. So it would need to be something that is well documented.

Would the best option here be just to use Radiant and a Quake 2 map export? As I believe thats the only well documented BSP map.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Denzin
sources hammer does what you are lookin for i believe.

Hammer itself - both the Source version and earlier versions - does not directly output .bsp files. Instead, it creates .map files (and .rmf files, which is an enriched format used only by the editor itself). These .map files are then hauled through a number of tools, which create and enhance a .bsp file. (for Half-Life, these were originally Quake compilation tools, namely qcsg, qvis, qrad and qbsp, but many improved tools have been created by the various modding communities). There are various other editors whose output can be used with these compilation tools - (Qe)Radiant is one of them.

I never dove too deep into the .bsp file format, but I believe there are various versions and flavors, depending on the game they're used for, so that's something to keep in mind. Either way, many editors will do - it's the compile tools that matter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!