• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dralbrent

Beginner C++ programmer: Where to Start?

This topic is 2983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all. I am new to gamedev as well as new to any sort of programming. I have always been interested in the more technical side of games though and I have decided to start by learning C++. I am trying to find a good beginners book for someone who has never programmed before. Does anyone have any suggestions? And also are there any subsequent books that I should be looking at after the beginner's book to further my skills? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Advertisement
I would suggest starting with C# and XNA simply because it's so easy to get something up and running in a short space of time but can also cater for more advanced game programming. You can learn a lot of the basics of programming as well as more advanced object oriented concepts which can al carry over into C++ (And pretty much any other language you may use) when you have a little more experience under your belt.

Microsoft have their own series of beginner video tutorials for XNA that will take you through building a 2D or 3D game from scratch. Here is the 2D game tutorial:

Clicky

For the programming basics there is a wealth of information on the internet. Just Google "absolute beginner programming c#" for example to find a bunch of books and sites for you.

XNA or OpenGL??

I studied XNA and learnt manual shaders to draw basic shapes and manipulate them.
But my friend told me that OpenGL has got more scope than XNA.

Shall I go for OpenGL now?
I am comfortable with C# and thus XNA. For OpenGL, would I have to learn VC++.
I know C++. I have created many small games in C++ BGI graphics. But I dont know to handle Windows in VC++.

Even somewhere I read that XNA games are simply crashes if they are not supplied with necessary resources (.Net and XNA).

What should I do now?
If OpenGL, do you have any material to start with?
From where to get OpenGL header and library files?
Please help me.

Thanks

Quote:
Original post by Shashwat

If OpenGL, do you have any material to start with?
From where to get OpenGL header and library files?
Please help me.

A site most people recommend looking at when first learning OpenGL is:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

The tutorials are a little bit older but they still work and there are also some links from that site to some newer stuff I think. I like DirectX 10 more than OpenGL but I do think OpenGL is easier to learn.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!