• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hrafnorri

Game engine for making a 2D game

This topic is 2899 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Me and my friends where thinking about creating a simple game like Super Mario we already know a good part of C++ and we were wondering if there were any good free game engines out there we could use to help us we would be really grateful if you could tell us about them.

or any other software that could help us in the creation.

Advertisement
Lolz.

Alright, first of all, Super Mario is not a simple game. The playability is simple: run, jump, collect, win. The code and everything else involved is not. At all.

If you want to create a true "simple game", you're looking at something like
">Secret Exit.

You may be thinking "Tons of people have single-handedly made Mario clones. What's the biggie?". Those people made clones. Mario was a reference. They had something to go off of. If you want to make a Mario clone, I'm sure there are engines out there that someone has made so you can make our most-wanted World 531. However, if you want to make a game like Mario (as in running and jumping on enemy's heads), you still have a lot of code designing ahead of you. The 2D physics and tile collision, camera, entity handling, level reader/writer, etc.

So let's narrow down your question some. I don't think you want a game like Mario. I believe you simply want to write a generic platformer? If that's the case, there is still math involved. I don't believe there are any full-fledged platformer engines out there, but I do know there are articles on getting a platformer game started!

Check This Site Out

It uses SDL for the graphics API, but you're not limited to it. Also, the code isn't the best. It's actually quite awful, but it is still learning material. And if it's your first game or your first programming experience, I see no true harm in copying and pasting. Just make sure you know how it works.

If your just doing this for fun, then you could use Gamemaker 8 to create the game & you could easily get the game done in a day. Also the code in Gamemaker is so simple it will be easy if you know c++

Only the drawbacks are:
- The gamemaker structure only gives smooth movement is you have less than 100 or so objects
- Gamemaker is very simple & takes control of some aspects (ie, you have no control over the main gameloop that is hidden.
- Gamemaker is seen as a novice game making IDE(not really an engine, well kindof) & I agree its novice but if you want to make side scroller, etc simple games it can give you a pretty high standard looking game that runs fine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!