• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DonceLT

MMO game

This topic is 2897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to try to create simple online game/engine/system based on server-client, and I done that - I created some nice libraries for server and client talking to each other, 3d models and etc. Now my game is just plane grass with walking players-cars and chat. The problem is that I don't know what to do now - I know that I won't be able to do whole MMORPG. I am thinking of making some minigame (for wich I dont have any good ideas) or making uncompleted MMORPG like World of Warcraft. Any suggestions what should I do?

Advertisement
Something to do:

1. add guns (it`s fun to kill & destroy :D )
2. add diffrent kind of locations (it`s fun to know where you are.)
3. add crafting to game (some of us like building things)
4. add competition. (sports, car race, hunting, trading, etc...)
5. add factions / clans (us vs. them)
6. add laws / rules (game must have some rules!
(optional: give players possibilities to make rules of guilds/land areas))
7. add story / lore / history (this explains the purpose of life!)

/Tyrian

add a quest system.

Ie, an npc gives you an objective to complete, and when you complete it you get xp.

Quote:
Original post by Doctor Shinobi
you really shouldn't work on something as big as an mmo before you have a clue what you want to do(Hey it rhymes!).

Nice rhythm :) That's the problem, that I want to do very much - item system, as someone already sad quest system, monsters, etc. I think I'll just do programming and see what I will make :)

Nah you can make a network chat kinda game with a little world to walk around in, I think thats a good project as long as you dont expect too much.

Quote:
Original post by rouncED
Nah you can make a network chat kinda game with a little world to walk around in, I think thats a good project as long as you dont expect too much.

Quote:
Original post by DonceLT
I wanted to try to create simple online game/engine/system based on server-client, and I done that - I created some nice libraries for server and client talking to each other, 3d models and etc. Now my game is just plane grass with walking players-cars and chat.

He seems to be done with that already [smile]

I have one more short question. It's about winsock2. When I am sending a pack of information, I firstly send pack id (for example if it's player position, player name or so on) and than I send that pack(well, it's a bit more complicated in code, but the main idea is this). Is it worth to, instead of sending two(or more) smaller buffers, merge all those little buffers(ie pack id and pack) into one buffer and then send it? Will it increase speed?(because now client freezes for about 0.2s then receiving pack; sending pack has now problems, even it sends the same packs with same method)

What you have seems like a good start to me. Maybe not an MMO, but you can do some multiplayer (20-30 players) car race, add weapons like somebody said, and you have a pretty good game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!