• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Bulbear4444

Selling an iPhone Game question

This topic is 2997 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, I made an iPhone game and got the license for it. However, I am under 18. I made the Apple Account, Upgraded it to Developer, and used (with permission) a credit card all in the name of my dad (over 18). I, however, designed, programmed, and made the images/sounds for my game independently (of both my dad and a company). I am soon going to submit it to the store. However, I believe that you need to give your bank account's name to the store. My dad wants me to give MY bank account's ID. (he claims for tax reasons.) However, I am cynical about this. Can I get in trouble, or not be allowed to sell, because of any of the following things:
1. Them finding out I'm not the proper age to have the license
2. The Bank ID not matching either the Apple ID name or the credit card name
3. Problems with the reduced Tax Rates

Also, will the be able to find out my age from my account?
Thanks ahead of time :).

Advertisement
>> 1. Them finding out I'm not the proper age to have the license

Minors are generally unable to enter a binding legal contract, although some exceptions apply. This is something that is frequently done 'under the radar' when parents are directly involved. So if you had used your own name and information (as a minor) then it could be an issue.

You say it was all done under your father's name. That means he's an adult and is signing on your behalf with consent. In that case everything is perfectly valid. An adult can enter into agreements and then allow you to have full access; they will be responsible for any legal issues, not you.

>> 2. The Bank ID not matching either the Apple ID name or the credit card name

I think he is correct in giving your tax numbers and your bank account, since it will be your account when you turn 18. Having your account names not corresponding may trigger an alert and Apple may check in to it. This is not a big deal and happens often enough, but might potentially require a few phone calls or paperwork.

>> 3. Problems with the reduced Tax Rates

I'm not sure what "reduced tax rates" you are talking about. If you earn enough money you are required to file an income tax form, even when you are a minor.

It might be worth looking into forming a company in order to facilitate this arrangement. Typically an LLC, C-Corp or S-Corp are the three front-running business types (in increasing order of difficulty to set up), depending upon what kind of structure, taxation and wealth extraction you want out of it.

It may not be the best option for you (though typically you don't want to be selling software as yourself - or even a formal, sole-proprietorship or partnership -- as those forms of business structure don't protect your personal assets if someone comes after you for something) but it's something to consider.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!