• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MikeKG

Open source true game engine

This topic is 2994 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all

I've searched on this one, but I can't find a simple answer (not that I really expected one).

I've looked at DX Studio and Unity and I'm very impressed (and I know there are "free" versions, but I'd like something which is free AND unrestricted). Now I know that there are a number of open-source 3D engines out there, but I can't see (from my inexperienced viewpoint) any well-developed game wrappers for them. So, my question should be simple - how near can I get to DX Studio or Unity using open-source stuff? Making the 3D resources isn't a problem - I have modellers and animators coming out of my ears. It's the basic mechanics of putting a 3D game together which I'm after.

I don't mind a bit of coding - but I don't want the coding to take over my life.

Anyone like to point me in a good direction?

Advertisement
Blender?

But I think you'll struggle to find anything that compares to the commercial offerings.

Thanks for those suggestions.

Blender - I've been following that for a couple of year now. It's an amazing bit of kit, but (usual story) I could never get my head around the interface. 2.5 looks good, though (and therefore 2.6). But the game engine? I don't know - it's very difficult to actually find out anything about it, and I'm still not sure if it's suddenly going to switch over to Crystal Space or OGRE support (which I think would make it perfect).

Panda3D looks ideal - but it's one of those which I'm struggling to find a wrapper for. Or am I barking up the wrong tree? Is it already integrated into the engine and I've simply missed it?

Delta3D I haven't come across before - I shall look into that.

As luck would have it, as soon as I wrote the query above I ran into Reality Factory 2, which at first glance appears to be what I'm looking for - maybe. More homework for me, then.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!