• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Snowprog

Loss quality while scaling down large textures

This topic is 3077 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello together

I have the following problem. I have a texture which is 512x512 in size. When I draw this texture smaller (e.g. 120x120) the quality is not as good as it should be. When I use textures that where scaled in "gimp" they look significantly better. I tried to work with the SetSamplerState Method as this seems to be the right thing (by searching the forum). But still I don't get a difference. My initialization looks like this:

m_pDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC);
m_pDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC);
m_pDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);
m_pDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MAXANISOTROPY, 16);

I tried serveral different possibilities, but all where looking bad. It seems a little bit as the code is ignoring the filtering completely.
Just for information: I'm using Direct3D to draw 2D Sprites (by using a texture on a polygon). Maybe there is a restriction here - as with lightning?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Anisotropic filtering only helps when you view your texture from an angle, so that it's compressed more in the X than in the Y direction for example. If your scaled sprite has the same proportions as the original, then it won't make a difference.
The reason it looks better in Gimp could be that it uses a different filtering method for scaling down, for example bicubic, possibly with extra sharpening or feature detection, while D3D will simply use bilinear filtering when scaling down.
Also, when scaled to a size that is not exactly the same as a mip-level (in your case 512, 512/2, 512/4...), D3D will interpolate between two mip-levels which could make your image look blurred.
Does it look bad also at exactly a size of 256 or 128 pixels?
You could manually create the mip-maps with Gimp and load them on texture-creation instead of letting D3D create them automatically. For sizes in between mip-levels it's harder.. you could try using point-filtering as your mip-filter, but it might also look worse.

To manually create mip-levels, you could use the DirectX Texture Tool that comes with the DX SDK, which allows you to manually choose an image for each mip-level, and then save it as a DDS texture file for loading in D3D.

Thanks for your response.

What really wonders me, is that it really looks as when I'm using the D3DTEXF_NONE filter for the D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER. There is no difference between the settings.
I also wrote a kind of editor for my application which is written in C# and MDX. There I'm using the posted setup and I see an improvement in drawing (compared to the a setting with D3DTEXF_NONE). I thought that this is because of the "carefull" behaviour of MDXm, which sometime performes steps that you actually don't see directly. So my first guess was that I missed some initialization in C++.

Quote:
Original post by Erik Rufelt
Anisotropic filtering only helps when you view your texture from an angle, so that it's compressed more in the X than in the Y direction for example.

When I understand it right then D3DTEXF_LINEAR should be sufficient for 2D drawing?
That would match my experience with the editor which did show only an improvement up to D3DTEXF_LINEAR (when I remember right). D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC did not show an enhancment when comparing the images.

Thanks again.

Uuuuuups!

Problem identified. While loading the texture I restriced the miplevels to - guess what - 1 :-((((

Sorry my fault. Thank you for helping. The good thing is that I know now why I don't have an enhancemant with anisothropic ;-)

Sorry again...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!