Xgamestation

Started by
4 comments, last by mrlove82 13 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone have any experience using the xgamestation? Is this a good tool for learning both hardware and software components of game development? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
I bought one of their kits a few years ago. The books (on cd) and stuff they sent seemed pretty complete so I was happy. One of the books reminded me of the stuff I learned in a computer engineering course that I took back in college. I think everything that's needed to learn about hardware and software is there it's just a question of how well you can digest the information on your own. Unfortunatly I never tried to start any projects with it. I just haven't made the time.
A similar kit is the "uzebox" which can be bought pre-built through a couple places, I think Sparkfun stocks them, as well as AdaFruit. capabilities-wise, its a lot further along than the XGS -- probably along the level of the Hydra or the more-recent propeller-based kits, without the headache of programming the prop chip, or the rather limited SX-52 on the XGS

The source for the uzebox is open, so you can dig around, and there are tons and tons of technical details in the forum and wiki. Combined with the book that goes with the hydra, which you can pick up separately from amazon, it would be another good option. The book explains things in general-enough terms that it applies to the uzebox, and the uzebox docs take care of any uze-specific details. Not sure what the XGS goes for these days, but you can probably pick up a complete uzebox set and the book for around, possibly less-than, $100 USD, and get a far more capable, easy-to-use, and open platform.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

It really depends on what your goal is. It's kind of a niche thing, if your into really low level stuff it will be fun. I wouldn't expect the skills to transfer over to modern day game development unless you end up working on the hardware engineering team at MS or Sony.

You can develop for consoles using XNA, which is absolutely nothing like the XGS. So if you just want to have a game on your tv, there are easier ways to go about it.
Some inspiration: GameSphere
Thanks guys!

I have always been interested in game development but I am recently deciding to try to go for it. I think that right now I am looking to learn as much as I can.

I have my BS in electrical engineering and I have used Parallax products in the past that is why I mentioned the Xgamestation/Hydra. Is that only for lower level of development? It was the only place I really new where to start. I am just now learning about game modding so I have been looking into starting a project with that.

At this point I would like to get my foot in the door. It seems with my backround I could more easily get in the hardware/console side and as I gain more game programming (I do have C++ and Java experience) knowledge I could possibly switch over. Any thoughts?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement