• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deanus

Installing lib3ds

This topic is 3076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,
I've just downloaded the lib3ds library, but I'm completely lost about how to install it and be able to use it... Any help?

Tnks
Dean

Advertisement
If you're not willing to build the library yourself, the simplest approach is to add the source files of lib3ds to your project.

Copy the files under the "src" folder of lib3ds and put them in some folder inside your project folder, for example:
myproject/
data/
src/
lib3ds/ <- everything here!

You could put everything together with your own source code, this is just to make it a little bit more organized. Now add all these files to your project, so that they will be built together with yours. Next add this folder as a search path for your IDE and you can use the library as shown in the examples, using #include <lib3ds.h> as normal.

I don't know where to set search paths within DevC++ since I haven't used it for years, but should be somewhere inside the project properties. Also, you should really consider using another IDE instead of DevC++.

Wow tnks, it worked!!
I just had to include the directory which held all of lib3ds's source files!

Now, about the IDE...

I tried installing my dad's copy of Visual C++ 6.0 on Vista but it crashes when I try to open a file, and it also has a few other bugs... On the link you posted there was listed that MS Visual C++ 2008 "costs nothing". Where can I get this IDE? Does it run on Vista?

tnks
Dean

Quote:
On the link you posted there was listed that MS Visual C++ 2008 "costs nothing". Where can I get this IDE? Does it run on Vista?
You can get it in the same link where you read that :) And yes, it does run on Vista.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!