• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hyunkel

Profiling without Nvidia perfHud (PIX?)

This topic is 3078 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Unfortunately I am unable to use Nvidia perfHud.
My laptop got 2 gtx280m gpu's in sli, which have suffered from driver problems for some time (sli performance issues)
These are fixed in the 2xx driver series, but unfortunately they do not work with perfTools (failed to initialize nvidia perfsdk)

19x drivers are working okay, but perfhud causes a driver reset after ~5 seconds, which makes it unusable.

However during these 5 seconds I noticed that I have very high driver times, which seem to indicate a problem in my application (driver times were higher then frame times)

I know there's PIX, which works fine, however I've never worked with it before, so I'm not really sure how to use it properly.
How can I track down what is causing these high driver times, and possibly other bottlenecks using PIX?

Cheers,
Hyu

Advertisement
I haven't used PIX a whole lot myself apart from debugging shaders but it does show the times that everything is taking and a full timeline of the frame and what's happening during it so you'll be able to see if one part in particular is taking much longer then it should and if you're having too many calls of one sort or another.

The only parts taking a long time are the first action, regardless of what it is.
Occasionally setting a large vertex buffer also takes a bit more time, but it's nothing compared to the first action:

For example if I do the OMGetDepthStencilState first, that will take a very long time instead, and the clear will complete rather quickly.

Is this normal? :/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!