• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NateDog

To show or not to show? .. that is the question

This topic is 2986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In a shop where the game/npc is offering items for sale, is it better to show all items ... even items that can't be equipped because skills are lacking? Or is it better to only show items that the player can buy now?

On the one hand it seems that seeing what I'm working towards motivates me to want to move up to get the better items.

On the other hand, it seems to ruin a bit of the "oh sweet!" factor of finding new items as I progress.

If the items were based simply on xp/level then the solution is obvious ... show only items 1 or 2 levels above the current level so as to give them both incentive and surprise/excitement at the new wares as they level.

But, in my case the items are based on many things ... skills, exp, relations ... and so it's a bit more complicated to try to figure out which items are just out of reach for each player.

Advertisement
I definitely see your point on the upside to each one.

Maybe you should offer a filter button that toggles between 'usable' and 'all'. As for which to go with for default, I would say it's very dependent on some other details like how many items will a given vendor have.

For instance, I didn't feel like it was overwhelming when Diablo 2 vendors showed things I could equip and things I couldn't, but that did all fit on one screen (for any given equip slot at least).

You can make a list of all the pros and cons for each of your two options, then you can convert those pros and cons to numerical values and reach a decision.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

Quote:
On the other hand, it seems to ruin a bit of the "oh sweet!" factor of finding new items as I progress.

You could have items in your game that are purchasable, and items that are non-purchasable. So you can buy equipment that's "sorta" good, but you get the really good stuff by finding it.
It's like in Diablo: you can buy the weapons with normal or less magical attributes, and the rare stuff is dropped by the mobs.

You'll probably have to tinker with it a fair bit to get it just right, but I'd suggest showing and selling stuff that's either currently available or will become available with a small amount of leveling. Like you said, let us buy things that are a level or two out of reach.

If it's stuff that has to be made available through relations or achievements, don't show it until it's available. If a guy will only sell something to his friends, he probably won't show it to non-friends and say, "That's only for people who have earned my love and admiration." On the other hand, it might be around the shop, on display over the mantle or leaning in a corner or on the shop owner's belt, and if you ask about it he'll say, "That's not for sale."

As long its something I can eventually use I say show it. I wouldn't show any items that I can't use because of class/race/gender restrictions. Like wise I prefer not to get items drops in game that I can't use either.

Show stuff you can get and stuff you can get if you work on it a little. But don't show items that need a lot of work to reach.

I think it depends on a couple things.

If this is the only NPC merchant or multiple merchants that players must return to, to update gear, etc, then I think I'd go with Tom's suggestion of pros vs cons.

If the merchant is hard to get to; far away from the center of activity; and not a mandatory visit, then I think I'd show what they have available (or do the usable/all filter as someone else suggested) or you run the risk of the player maybe not returning because they can't see all the cool stuff that will be available to them in the future.

I'm not a decision point, but you've raised some good questions that should weigh into the decision that I didn't think about ... (distance/difficulty of getting to the shop) and middle of the road type solutions (show it in another part of the shop ... not for sale, but on display) and a filter option.

Thanks for a bunch of good thoughts and insights.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!