Job Poll

Started by
10 comments, last by ApochPiQ 13 years, 9 months ago
I'm going to leave this going for a week before I tally the results and make a point.

QUESTION
How many of you obtained your current job because you knew someone already working there, and how many of you obtained your current job without knowing anyone at your current workplace?

BEFORE YOU ANSWER
- You must be employed
- No business owners, employees only
- Developers, DBA-types & testers only; no IT people!
Advertisement
2 of my jobs I got because I knew someone.
2 of my jobs I didn't.

My current job, I didn't know anyone.
Um... May I make a tiny suggestion even if I'm unemployed?

It would be useful to list more jobs chronologically. Experience can have a significant effect on being employed if it's not through a "contact" person.
Got my current job (C# developer) from my friend's father (who is the CEO of the company).

I have no formal education apart from the Swedish equivalent of high school, in case it matters.
Moved to Breaking In.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'm an IT person now, but I did get a testing job through a recruiter because a friend of mine dropped them my name after getting hired on himself.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

at the 3 game companies i've worked at, i didnt know anyone at any of them before working there
4 different jobs (3 development 1 support) none of which I knew anybody that worked there before hand.
I didn't know anyone before I started. At least at this company it doesn't really matter if you know someone or not you still have to pass a technical test before they start thinking about that.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Well, I've worked at two studios with the same company since I started in the game industry just shy of three years ago. The first studio I didn't know anyone. I just applied, took their design test, and was hired. For the second studio, where I'm at now, the Studio Director liked me so he asked me to join him with the starting of the studio as the Lead Designer. Here I am now as the Producer for the studio.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement