• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mikenovemberoscar

Groups or clubs?

This topic is 3069 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I have been making games for the last few years and have made nothing substantial yet.

I decided to make a 3D engine (First person shooter minus the shooter) but I am having a whole load of problems.

Gamedev.net is a very useful resource but sometimes it'd be better to have a real person look over my code, or to discuss issues with other game programmers, or just have a chance to talk to other programmers and maybe learn something.

I live in Glasgow, UK, but there aren't any GDNet gatherings anywhere near me as far as I know.

The Glasgow Apple shop runs mac user groups but not any programming ones AFAIK, and there are a few non-programming mac user groups around but no programming ones, let alone game programming ones.

Does anyone (know anyone (who knows anyone)) who could point me in the right direction for a club or group of some sort?

Thanks,

Mike

EDIT: Are there any clubs at universities in Glasgow?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by mikenovemberoscar
I live in Glasgow, UK, but there aren't any GDNet gatherings anywhere near me as far as I know.
Does anyone (know anyone (who knows anyone)) who could point me in the right direction for a club or group of some sort?

Four words:
India Delta Golf Alpha
http://www.igda.org/chapters

Do you not have any online "programmer friends" to speak to?
Id be happy to discuss those topics with you via instant messaging or voip methods, unfortunatly im not a Mac developer (and it seems as though you insist on this from your first post.)

Living in Essex (UK) there arnt any programming gatherings here AFAIK and its almost impossible for me to locate anyone who would be interested in this sort of stuff. So, I just settle for online "programmer friends" :P its easier that way.

Quote:
Hmm. The nearest 'chapter' is two hundred odd miles away

So start one. Looking on gamedevmap and gameindustrymap, I see that there are at least two game companies in Glasgow.

Quote:
Well, it's not PC or mac specific, but the apple people are nice people :)

Well in that case, I'll PM you my email address (since GD.net doesnt think it relevant profile information) and if you have an instant messenger that is compatable with MSN Messenger *puts up "flame" barrier* then add me as a contact (that is, if you actually want to.. haha)

By the way..

Quote:
Hello. I have been making games for the last few years and have made nothing substantial yet.

I decided to make a 3D engine (First person shooter minus the shooter) but I am having a whole load of problems.

Im in pretty much the same position as you, I've made various small applications and unfinished games but nothing of any substantial worth yet.

I was going to say to give meetup.com a try, but doing a quick search, nothing comes up near Glasgow. Meetup is reasonably popular in the states, but I don't know how it fares in the UK - You could always start a new meetup group, but I do believe that it costs a nominal fee of about 10 USD per month. You could also search/try yahoo groups, which is free but their interface kind of sucks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!