Good Start? Please Critique My Beginning Approach

Started by
19 comments, last by Anri 13 years, 9 months ago
SHORT BIO: I am 19 years old and I have taken programming classes on Visual Basic, Java, and C# (in that order). I want to begin breaking into the gaming industry by creating some very simple games to get some credit. They are going to be nothing more than 2D RPG strategy games with simple moves (no AI, no real movement to the games, and cheap animations).

Should I start my path into the gaming industry with this?

Language: JAVA (for online applets embedded into html pages)
IDE: Netbeans (anything better?)
Graphics: Photshop CS4 (anything better?)

Ultimately my goal is to create a MMO 3D game (yes I know this takes a team) and I would like to embed it in HTML (unless other possibilities are better, please educate me if I am wrong). This is why I am using java, please tell me if I am using the best language that I know, if I need to specify something, or if I should learn a better language for my ultimate goal (like C+, or if I should start with Java and then learn C+ when I have more experience and can actually create a good game).
Advertisement
Write some games first...then decide
I don't really know your credibility behind this. How much experience do you have in the field, and is this what you did? If so, what language did you start with and what are you now using?
It's just advice from an old games programmer. Take it or leave it.

Does 20+ years in games programming and development count ?
Quote:Ultimately my goal is to create a MMO 3D game.... This is why I am using java, please tell me if I am using the best language that I know, if I need to specify something, or if I should learn a better language for my ultimate goal
Wrong attitude. In particular.

Quote:I want to begin breaking into the gaming industry
Quote:Ultimately my goal is to create a MMO 3D game
See, you are asking one question, but then you end up asking another. You want to make that MMO, and are asking the "is it enough" question.

Already answered by Tom Sloper.
First off, I am not a very experienced Game programmer.

But my advice is ignore the previous posts, I think new people asking for advice along the lines of "How do I make a game" invites the hounds to attack, they prefer specific questions like "How do I handle collisions with a precision of 1 pixel".

You have smart ideas because if your aim is to make 2d games playable over the internet then Java is a great pick.

I am not experienced enough to know whether you should use a 2d engine, so I would seek advice on that.

But overall your goal to make simple 2d games in Java & use Photoshop(although I'd use Illustrator but thats a personal prefernce) for the sprites is very doable. Concerning the IDE, my personal advice is use Eclipse, but if ur already familiar with Netbeans I would stick with that.

I'd just start coding the game, & when u run into a hurdle just post the specific problem in Gamedev & u'll get ur answer & learn at the same time.
Quote:Ultimately my goal is to create a MMO 3D game (yes I know this takes a team) and I would like to embed it in HTML (unless other possibilities are better, please educate me if I am wrong).

You will get people here off side straight away by stating you are aiming for an MMO in the long term, granted you've not said your first project is an MMO, for some reason people here see MMO and immediately place you into the 'mmo kiddy' pile.

In terms of starting your path, if you're looking at 2D RPG strategy, i'd recomend start with the 2D Strategy side of it first, then expand the prototype you make at that point to include the RPG elements you want.

I find it helpful to write down the ideas I have for my projects before i actually start coding, its not only good practise, but it also allows you to create checkpoints and give yourself direction in those moments where you just dont want to open the laptop to code. The other advantage is that if you get called away for school, work or family matters, the idea that you had in your head at the time you were writing that code is not lost and you can come back to it.

To make the project worthwhile, i would recomend against the removal of an AI from your scope of work. Cover at least a basic AI (it attacks back if it is attacked, it attacks if you are within x distance from itself, runs away if it has low health...) so that there is actually some game element to it and you will likely find the development and result a lot more rewarding.

Having minimal 'movements' or 'actions' isnt a bad thing, and i whole heartedly agree with the concept of keep the start simple. Move/Attack/Stay/Build/Defend are usually starting points for RTS' as these are the core of the game, and remember that with a solid foundation anything can be built.

Quote:This is why I am using java, please tell me if I am using the best language that I know, if I need to specify something, or if I should learn a better language for my ultimate goal

There is no true better language for game development, some things may be easier in one language than another, but generally you can produce similar results no matter what language you use. Runescape for example is/was written in java, a lot of main stream games are written in C/C++, Xbox games can be written in XNA, hell, you can make games using PHP/CGI scripting for websites, so it all depends on what you hope to achieve.
Quote:Xbox games can be written in XNA

Just to clarify, he means they can be written in C# using XNA, but his point is nonetheless spot on, and I would take this advice.
Quote:Original post by Kalnos
Quote:Xbox games can be written in XNA

Just to clarify, he means they can be written in C# using XNA, but his point is nonetheless spot on, and I would take this advice.

Exactly what i meant, sorry for confusion.
Thank you for those of you that posted constructively after the first couple people. I know about XNA and I've looked into it (i'd say its out of my league, currently). I guess I did make my post a little too general, making me look a lot more naive than I am (hence the condescending advice, and btw GregMichael I was just trying to understand where you were coming from so I know how successful you are with what you have done...and HOW you have done it).

I guess my ultimate questions would be: should I change my language or graphics to anything better, and am I heading in the right direction for my goal?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement