• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gmseed

mass-spring baraff-witkin implicit solver

This topic is 3073 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows of a simple, say 3x3 matrix, example of formulating the mass-spring implicit solver as described in 1998 Baraff-Witkin paper "Large steps in Cloth Simulation"?

I'm trying to code equation (6) of the paper, which is a linear [A]{dv}= but don't undertsnad how I don't end up simply with a diagonal matrix.

The identity matrix is diagonal. The inverse mass-matrix gives a diagonal term for constant mass and the derivatives df/dv and df/fx at a particular point, i, can be computed at each time step.

Without the non-diagonal elements I can't see how I arrive a coupled system such as when solving FE stiffness matrices.

Thanks for any help.

Graham

Advertisement
It looks like the non-diagonal parts are the derivatives. The derivative of a vector valued function on a vector input at a point is a non-diagonal matrix: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobian_matrix

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!