Where/How to learn Modern Opengl?

Started by
8 comments, last by billconan 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi i'm interested in opengl 3d programming

I have quite a long experience programming, but, i don't find the way of starting to learn opengl stuff

I've studied many maths, but, during all my learning lessons, i haven't learn any thing about matrix transformations, and all this kind of stuff

So, i wanna know, if anyone knows, a prety way of starting programming opengl, any tutorial, or course, in which i could start from the beginning, but with modern opengl and glsl

Many thanks
Advertisement
I think this might be not such a bad starting point:

http://www.opengl.org/sdk/

For specific problems, well, i guess google.com is the best... Others may know better than me.

Good luck with your learning and regards,
I realise i'll probably get modded down for saying this, but I honestly think the best resource out there is the D3D10 documentation. The problem with searching for OpenGL tutorials in general, is that you always tend to find 100's of out of date examples, using functions and methods now considered deprecated. If however you look at the (single) way in which D3D10 will do something, it then becomes much easier to identify the relevant parts of the OpenGL spec that you should be using.

Other than that, lighthouse3D has some nice tutorials to get you started (although some parts are slightly outdated now - but not by much!). Then there is the NVidia OpenGL SDK and the ATI SDK samples
I find the NeHe OpenGL tuts very educating too. They even have their own area here in gamedev.net forums:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=27
The NEHE tutorials are thorough, but older and have some deprecated code. This new blog has shown up that I found on reddit that is obviously less complete, but is using the more modern features of the language. He's averaging a post a month, so depending on how quickly you are looking to learn, it may be a good reference point.

Here
anyone more knows a better way for starting model opengl??

I dont know if opengl is a good way to start, is it easy to start learning modern 3d graphics with directx

What should i do?
Quote:Original post by sssss
I dont know if opengl is a good way to start, is it easy to start learning modern 3d graphics with directx?
"Modern" graphics programming is almost identical whether you're using OpenGL or Direct3D. You'll always be using shaders, and you'll always be using vertex buffers. The hard parts of graphics programming -- understanding the math, writing performant shaders, shadowing techniques, that sort of thing -- you can learn from either one, and the knowledge will carry over almost exactly.
and the matter is, where can i get this knownledge, where does all the people get it?
Quote:Original post by bruteostrich
The NEHE tutorials are thorough, but older and have some deprecated code. This new blog has shown up that I found on reddit that is obviously less complete, but is using the more modern features of the language. He's averaging a post a month, so depending on how quickly you are looking to learn, it may be a good reference point.

Here

An intro to modern OpenGL

^^ I second brute's recommendation of Joe's Blog. It's a very well-written and growing set of tutorials, with an emphasis on real-time animation. The examples were written in c and glsl. I've been following along using Delphi 2010 + dglOpenGL with all deprecated features disabled.
--- "A penny saved never boils."
the red book -> the orange book

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement