• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spaceJockey123

while loop which doesn't end

This topic is 3048 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys,

I've been stuck on this problem for the past 2 nights. The actual puzzle gets deeper than this but I can't for the life of me figure out why this code doesn't work. Basically the loop doesn't end. Hopefully the code/comments is self explanatory. Help please!

PS: Forgive me but I used 'plus' instead of the symbol because for some reason that gets filtered out.

string x = "hellohellohowdoyoudo";
int counter = 0;
int position = 0;

// Count the number of times "hello" occurs in given string.
// Loop ends if position is -1 (string function find() returns -1 when number of instances is 0).

while(position!=-1)
{
position = x.find("hello", position);
position plus=1;
counter plus= 1;
}

cout << counter;

Advertisement

string x = "hellohellohowdoyoudo";
int counter = 0;
int position = 0;

// Count the number of times "hello" occurs in given string.
// Loop ends if position is -1 (string function find() returns -1 when number of instances is 0).

while(position!=-1)
{
position plus=1;
counter plus= 1;
}

cout << counter;

Some of the logic is a bit off with your approach. Consider the case of the word "hello" not even being present in the word you're looking at. The variable "position" would be set to -1, then set to 0 (1 added to it) and then the counter would increase. Position would not trigger the exit condition of the loop (since it is 0 again) and the same sequence of events would happen.

Now consider the search word you have setup already with 'x' ("hellohellohowdoyoudo").

-Loop does not fail (position is equal to 0)
-position is set to 0, substring of "hello" found at position 0
-position is now 1
-counter is now 1
-loop does not fail (position is equal to 1)
-position is set to 5, substring of "hello" found at position 5
-position is now 6
-counter is now 2
-loop does not fail (position is equal to 6)
-position is set to -1, no substring of "hello" found
-position is set to 0
-counter is now 3
loop will continue from here on out.

From here, or in a situation like this, I would just walk though your debugger to see what is happening to the variables on each line. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

[Edited by - Skaff on July 15, 2010 5:57:25 PM]

Suppose that find() returns -1. What happens between then, and the next time the while-condition is checked?

Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Suppose that find() returns -1. What happens between then, and the next time the while-condition is checked?

Aha the -1 is incremented by 1. But I was under the impression that the while loop ends as soon as the value 'position' becomes -1. Ok I'll try and recode that.

By the way this isn't my 'homework'. I wish it was and I were a student again but no, this is from a practice puzzle I found on topcoder. Dithering problem!

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Assuming you're using std::string, then std::string.find() returns std::string.npos, not -1 when it can't find anything. Of course, Sneftel's point is very true!

Ah true, I forgot that npos was returned instead of -1. Has been a bit since I worked with the std:string! I was going by the comments placed in.

Quote:
Original post by Skaff
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Some of the logic is a bit off with your approach. Consider the case of the word "hello" not even being present in the word you're looking at. The variable "position" would be set to -1, then set to 0 (1 added to it) and then the counter would increase. Position would not trigger the exit condition of the loop (since it is 0 again) and the same sequence of events would happen.

Now consider the search word you have setup already with 'x' ("hellohellohowdoyoudo").

-Loop does not fail (position is equal to 0)
-position is set to 0, substring of "hello" found at position 0
-position is now 1
-counter is now 1
-loop does not fail (position is equal to 1)
-position is set to 5, substring of "hello" found at position 5
-position is now 6
-counter is now 2
-loop does not fail (position is equal to 6)
-position is set to -1, no substring of "hello" found
-position is set to 0
-counter is now 3
loop will continue from here on out.

From here, or in a situation like this, I would just walk though your debugger to see what is happening to the variables on each line. Hopefully this helps out a bit.

That does help. I think where I went wrong is that I forgot that a while loop tests a condition at the beginning of the loop.

I've modified the code by including an if statement, which exits the loop as soon as position equals to -1. It works but it seems inefficient because I still have the condition for the while loop. Everything works as I want now, just optimizing it!

Quote:
Original post by spaceJockey123
I've modified the code by including an if statement, which exits the loop as soon as position equals to -1. It works but it seems inefficient because I still have the condition for the while loop. Everything works as I want now, just optimizing it!

Or you could move the position = x.find() to immediately before the while loop, and copy it to the end of the while loop:

while (position != -1) {
position plus= 1;
counter plus= 1;
}

Maybe..

count = position = 0;
while( position < x.Length() && (position=x.find(...)) != npos )
{
position++;
count++;
}

Haven't tried it but you may not need "position < length" if you never search for a 1 character string instead of >1 char string.

[Edited by - Buckeye on July 15, 2010 10:48:41 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!