Windows Applications

Started by
2 comments, last by Buckeye 13 years, 9 months ago
After working with just basic console applications I decided to move on to some basic game programming. I've been reading Beginning Game Programming by Michael Morrison, but just looking at some of the code I am confused by some code required for windows applications. The rest of the code besides some graphics code (which the book teaches later) I am able to understand pretty well. Anyone have any tips on books, online resources, or anything else that could help me learn about the windows code?
Advertisement
This article explains the boilerplate code for a basic Win32 application pretty well.

That said, the .net infrastructure simplifies the implementation of Windows apps considerably. As for games, XNA runs on top of .net and DirectX.

Niko Suni

Can you give us examples of code you do not understand? We may be able to give you specific points as opposed to making vague generalizations.
"Charles Petzold"

Programming Windows, at one time THE BIBLE of Windows programming, though a bit outdated and maybe a litte expensive, would give you an excellent understanding of most of the basics, and a lot of tips and hints, about the Windows API.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement