• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Game_XinBing

DX11 XNA's Prospects

This topic is 2952 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I can only write a little C# code, so I want to learn XNA.
But I know MS is Mercurial, From DX7 to DX11, all changed, MFC is discard.
Except that , I'm also afraid MS's XBox and Smart Phone market decline.
I'm afraid MS discard C# and XNA a few years later, so i must be very sad.

I want to learn XNA, what's the XNA's Prospects?

Thank you all!

Advertisement
C# isn't disappearing any time soon.

However, I can pretty much guarantee you that if you learn XNA today, it will have changed beyond recognition in a few years time. Game technology does that. We'll find better, faster ways of doing things; if you want to write games that are technologically current, then you'll need to keep up with current technology. There's no way to avoid that, whether you use XNA or anything else.

If you're a newbie coder, learn XNA now. Even if it does disappear in a few years, the concepts you'll pick up, and the programming skills you'll acquire, will help you adapt to whatever comes after it.

Quote:
Original post by Game_XinBing
I'm afraid MS discard C# and XNA a few years later, so i must be very sad.
Uhh...welcome to modern computing? A large chunk of your knowledge will not be relevant in five years. Worse in ten. That's how the tech industry works.

Like superpig said, what matters is the concepts you pick up. When you choose to program XNA, you choose to continue learning C# and learn a low level 3D API for programming games. If that's where you want to develop, it's a fine choice.

You can also choose SlimDX, which provides access to features all the way to DX11, and works with C#, but it's PC only. Or, if you just want to program 3D games, you can learn a 3D engine (like Ogre) instead of learning the low level API.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!