Pitfalls to VS2010?

Started by
17 comments, last by davepermen 13 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
I just got my upgrade from VS2005, but I've been toying with it at work, so far the mayor pitfall I found is that VC++ directories are now set per project rather than global, which is good, but makes CMake choke when trying to find paths, I think there is a "default profile" for that, but I haven't looked hard enough for that.

Open a C++ project and go to View->Property Manager. Property Manager opens in the same tab group as the solution explorer, which is something the documentation helpfully does not explain, so the first half dozen times I tried this I thought the damn window didn't actually open. Then under the Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.User property pages you can add per user directories.
Advertisement
Thanks! I knew it wasn't just me [smile].

Wait... I don't see "Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.User" anywhere, do I have to create an empty project?

Edit: Yes, must be a VS generated project, one from CMake wont contain it.

[Edited by - Kwizatz on July 16, 2010 11:38:41 AM]
I don't use the VS help system so I didn't notice anything with that-- I've found VS2010 to be a huge upgrade from 2008.

-All the windows can be dragged outside the main window, nice for multiple monitors

-New 0x language features like lambda's, R value ref's, auto etc ..also additions to standard library such as unique_ptr. Makes C++ feel far less clunky.

Of course you need VAX, but you have always needed VAX anyway

The managed side also has new stuff like dynamic keyword in C#

Quote:Original post by Shinkage
I just upgraded to 2010 this week myself and, though I hate to say it about a new purchase of yours, I find it to be an almost strict DOWNgrade compared to 2008. I was totally unimpressed with the new intellisense, to the point where I just had to turn it off because it was putting red squiggles everywhere that it really should have been able to figure out. I have no idea what was supposed to be improved, because it certainly works no better (arguably actually worse) than it did in 2008, at least for my projects. Echoing others' suggestions that VAX is still almost a required purchase.
That's really surprising because I've had the complete opposite experience with VS 2010 Intellisense and C++. With 2008 I had to compile often to see if my code was syntactically, but with 2010 I generally rely on the red squigglies to find errors as I type. I've seen it handle everything from macros to templates to lambdas, and have had numerous occasions where I swore Intellisense was wrong only to discover that I was wrong when I tried to compile. And this is in a huge code base with tons of headers and code of all variety.

You should try figuring out what's wrong with your Intellisense setup, because it's nearly flawless in its accuracy as far as I can tell. The biggest downside is performance when compared with .NET Intellisense since it takes a few seconds for it to update and display the autocomplete list.

I found upgrading to 2010 to be a pleasant experience. Granted I never used VAX, be compared to 2008 intellisense, 2010 is solid for C++ code. I compile projects FAR less now and rely almost entirely on the 'red squigglys' for compile time error checking.

The C++0x functionality (as limited as it is) is VERY nice to have (I just wish they'd add variadic templates ASAP).

Overall, I'm quite impressed.
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
I just got my upgrade from VS2005, but I've been toying with it at work, so far the mayor pitfall I found is that VC++ directories are now set per project rather than global, which is good, but makes CMake choke when trying to find paths, I think there is a "default profile" for that, but I haven't looked hard enough for that.

Open a C++ project and go to View->Property Manager. Property Manager opens in the same tab group as the solution explorer, which is something the documentation helpfully does not explain, so the first half dozen times I tried this I thought the damn window didn't actually open. Then under the Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.User property pages you can add per user directories.

You also have to make sure that Tools -> Settings -> Expert Settings is enabled for the Property Manager option to even be there, at least with VS2010 Express. I just installed it and the setting was to defaulted to Basic Settings. Thanks for the training wheels, Microsoft [rolleyes]
Quote:Original post by mutex
That's really surprising because I've had the complete opposite experience with VS 2010 Intellisense and C++. With 2008 I had to compile often to see if my code was syntactically, but with 2010 I generally rely on the red squigglies to find errors as I type. I've seen it handle everything from macros to templates to lambdas, and have had numerous occasions where I swore Intellisense was wrong only to discover that I was wrong when I tried to compile. And this is in a huge code base with tons of headers and code of all variety.

After some experimentation, it seems to be on account of the project having a PCH that's not named StdAfx.h. At least that's my guess. I did the ol' "change everything until it works, but you have no idea why" bit and it eventually found the scads of symbols it was missing. Guess whatever it is that made it find its own PCH was something I hadn't managed to try first time I was messing with it!
As a follow-up, this was my problem:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/552449/

Basically, if you want to have a non-flat directory structure in your project, you need to manually add the directory with your PCH file to your project's include path. Rather silly bug if you ask me--it's not as if intellisense doesn't know about your PCH settings.
that thing is sloooow!

just got first contact over the weekend. i'm on an i5 + intel ssd, so i'm used to snappiness (and care about it).

what ever clicks, keycommands i do (even navigating from one button to another with the tab button in some dialog) has a half-second delay.

really bad.

i'll test out if there are other uses for me, but so far, i'm dissapointed.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement