• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alvalea

Wave, the new portable console by Samsung

This topic is 3046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

I've just discovered the new Samsung Wave. I think it's an incredible platform for game development. It has a PowerVR SGX 540 graphics chip (28 MPolys/s). The iPhone 4 has a PowerVR SGX 535 graphics chip (14 MPolys/s), and it has a graphic quality pretty similar to the PSP. Besides the Wave uses OpenGL 2.0 as rendering framework, so I guess that almost all iPhone games can be ported directly.
What do you thing about it? Has anyone developed a game for the Wave yet?

Greetings

Advertisement
Its a neat phone, but its a stretch to call it a "portable console" -- As popular as the iPhone AppStore has been, and as much buzz as it generates for its games, no phone will compete with portable consoles like the PSP or DS as long as they refuse to add physical controls -- and they have to be built-in since only hardcore gamers will spring for a gaming peripheral for their phone.

Even assuming control parity, its going to be a long while, if ever, that phones become an equally attractive gaming platform -- They're too far-flung in terms of capabilities and new models come too quickly to be seriously attractive to publishers -- its a nightmare to know that you can't test your software on the device that will replace the current flagship in just 6-12 months, and that the platform you do get to test on is only a few million units strong. Apple is somewhat of an exception as they keep a tight reighn on their iOS platform, keep new hardware arival to year-long intervals, have the iTouch to boost the install-base (as well as push into lower-aged demographics), and are riding a general wave of popularity at the moment, but even their device family is now fairly stratified with 3 wholly-distinct devices, plus the iPad (I'm also wagering on an ARM/iOS-based AppleTV redux someday).

That's really the draw of Consoles, even portables -- you have 1 known hardware platform with a lifetime of 5-10 years.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!