3D Modeling & Games?

Started by
1 comment, last by V-man 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi,

I was wondering if everything in a game is made in a 3D modeling software, exported then used with a graphics API?

For example, Direct3D can do lighting, but can i create a light in a 3D software and then use it with Direct3D? Because it'd be MUCH simpler and more realistic..

And i do mean everything.. fluids, particles like hair/grass/fire, etc..
"Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris...even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of shit so high that you're fucked no matter what you do. "
Advertisement
Mostly yes, most models in a game are created in a 3d modeling package and then exported. The texture on the other hand are mostly made in a 2d program like Photoshop. And the particle systems are made in a custom editor.

And your question about lighting depends on the export format. You should be able to get basic info about the lights (color, position, ect.) that you can put into your format.

You should also be able to get info about the particle systems and such. But if you demand more of your format, writing a exporter will become more and more difficult.

And remember, some settings in fluids and particle systems need A LOT of time to process (mostly things that have to do with detail), to much time to be usable in a game.

assainator
"What? It disintegrated. By definition, it cannot be fixed." - Gru - Dispicable me

"Dude, the world is only limited by your imagination" - Me

Particle system is done by the game engine because it usually requires physics or some specific animation. You can of course setup parameters with your 3D editor. For lights, u would create some light object and setup parameters similar to particle systems and other objects. For 3D objects like a box or metal pole, you would setup things like weight, whether it is breakeable, bendable.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement