• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

RenderMonkey vs fx composer shader software

This topic is 2776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im new to programming via shader's and the books say about coding it your self . i have just come across these
RenderMonkey for nvida
fx composer for ati

i have ati grafix card in my system can either software be used for shader programming . and if so which is the best

Advertisement
Sorry, I never used one of them. But I may correct you:

Quote:

RenderMonkey for ati
fx composer for nvida

However, I heard more about the RenderMonkey than the FXComposer. But I guess everyone has to find out which is better for himself [smile]

If you've got an ATI card go with rendermonkey ... fxcomposer is actually better imho, but then again rendermonkey is free. The only issue you'll probably come across is possible assumptions that are made in the software that according to the SM your using should work, however as that Shader Models are loose specifications, you could run into conflicts.

An example is I was writing a modified toon shader in SM 3.0 with fx composer that worked fine in the software. However when I deployed it and tried to compile/run it on my ATI cards the thing would crash, not so much on my 8800, the problem ended up being the fact that ATI cards couldn't handle runtime division in that spec which was being masked by fx composer ( which was actually performing the division before it created the assembly ), however during that time if you gave the same code to rendermonkey it would actually put out a compiler warning stating that the operation wouldn't be supported on all platforms. So maybe that'll help in your decision.

Quote:
Original post by RIZAX
If you've got an ATI card go with rendermonkey ... fxcomposer is actually better imho, but then again rendermonkey is free.

I'm not sure if you're implying that FX Composer isn't free or not, but in the event you are: FX Composer is free too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement