glNormal3f conversion to direct3d

Started by
11 comments, last by 21st Century Moose 13 years, 9 months ago
If it's a surface normal it still needs to be added to each individual vertex in the buffer. VertexBuffers in D3D are the same as VBOs or vertex arrays in OpenGL in this respect; you can't specify a "current normal" or "current color" that every vertex issued automatically picks up until you change it.

If you're honestly having trouble with this, I'd recommend that you step back and consider a much simpler application until you're feeling more comfortable with the way D3D works. Work from the tutorials in the SDK, they're great learning resources. No criticism intended, just honest helpful advice: I think you're trying to take on too much too soon, and that's not a good way to learn.

[Edited by - mhagain on July 21, 2010 7:27:40 AM]

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by mhagain
If it's a surface normal it still needs to be added to each individual vertex in the buffer. VertexBuffers in D3D are the same as VBOs or vertex arrays in OpenGL in this respect; you can't specify a "current normal" or "current color" that every vertex issued automatically picks up until you change it.

If you're honestly having trouble with this, I'd recommend that you step back and consider a much simpler application until you're feeling more comfortable with the way D3D works. Work from the tutorials in the SDK, they're great learning resources. No criticism intended, just honest helpful advice: I think you're trying to take on too much too soon, and that's not a good way to learn.

[link]http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1741/normal2s.jpg[/link]

I think it's talking about the normals circled above.
If I had a vertex buffer that I must pass to it a normal for every vertex
Wouldn't that be too redundant? (See format of CJVertex)
And which normals (face or vertex) I produced should be used in this case?
And thanks for your advice, I am also reading back some of my old references
which I have long forgotten. :)
Thanks
Jack
Quote:Original post by lucky6969b
If I had a vertex buffer that I must pass to it a normal for every vertex
Wouldn't that be too redundant? (See format of CJVertex)

It's the same as what OpenGL does anyway, but it's just hidden behind the API there. You set a "current normal" via glNormal3f, and then every time you call glVertex3f the "current normal" is associated with the vertex and transferred to the command buffer. So even if you only use glNormal3f once, you'll still get n normal transfers if you call glVertex3f n times.

So the GL immediate mode API is just a convenience feature rather than anything more optimal. And don't worry, using a proper vertex buffer, or even a software array via DrawPrimitiveUP, will greatly outperform OpenGL immediate mode every time, even with the (apparent) extra data.

This is actually a perfectly understandable pitfall that can happen to anyone who has an OpenGL background and are moving to D3D. They see more code (though that's not always the case) and more data and think it must be redundant and suboptimal, whereas it's actually not (the same applies to the pseudo-OO-ness of COM vs OpenGL procedural calls).

So run with the recommended way of doing it in D3D, don't worry that it might contradict what you already know to be true when you think in OpenGL terms, and all will be well. The worst thing you can actually do is try to brutalize D3D code to look the same as the equivalent OpenGL code. It won't work right, you'll make a mess, and performance will suffer.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement