Detecting circular movement around a static object

Started by
11 comments, last by Richter 13 years, 9 months ago
Hey everyone,

Sorry about not replying sooner. I'll make a sketch and put it up in a few minutes. We've been really slammed and I've gotten to the point of frustration with this entire project. I'll be back in a couple of minutes.

Many apologies,
#1 Belmont, Richter
Advertisement
Right; my algorithm detects approximate encirclement the way I've seen in many games, where reversing direction or being too far away from the encircled object "cancels" the encirclement. Like seen in various 3D platformers, such as Soul Reaver, Super Mario 64, or Banjo-Kazooie. It's certainly not a general-purpose algorithm, by any means.
RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.
Hey Everyone,

I actually can't post a sketch of the gameplay, because of legality issues. Well I've decided that I could treat my object like a clock. Once my minute hand crosses my hour hand I have passed the area I need to go in. However I need to figure out if I went clockwise or counter clock wise. I've been using Atan2 to get the side of my side that I am on. Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
#1 Belmont, Richter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement