• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Instant Radiosity demo

This topic is 2777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

">MOVIE

On my really cruddy video card I get 7 fps in a cornel box, supporting fully dynamic scene and lights (with about 10% more work for the gpu, it is a little extra work as ive got shadowmaps to rerender and stuff)

The way it works is I render light onto a unique whole scene light map... then to spread the light i have to reraster this map about 200 separate times. (So until now, this would have been impossible)

I guess more experimentation is needed to get it to work with more complex scenes other than this small one, but do you like the effect im getting? Its per chunk of surface on the trasmit, and per texel on the recieve.

It can go 60 fps, if you drop the lightmap down to really chunky, but this movie is on pretty nice resolution for choppiness.

Any questions?

Advertisement
Looks good ;)

Are the bumpy edges on the shadows related to the lightmap-texel size?

What parameters of the algorithm determine how slow it is -- the size/number of the "transmitting patches"?

Its the texel size which noticeably causes the shadow edges to look that crap, I spose if you wanted to "fake fix" it now youd somehow soften it then you wouldnt notice the texels as much.

Yup, how many separate patches you split the transmit into is how many passes of the light map you need to reraster the light over on top for every bounce, also the actual size of the lightmap is the other factor.

:)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement