• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How do games have such detailed models?

This topic is 2864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I use Blender to model & texture. Problem is, the .x File i export doesn't show everything i make..

For example, normal maps don't show.. Procedural textures don't show.. The only thing that i get when i render my Model in Direct3D is the Model (Which always looks a bit distorted) and the diffuse UV-mapped texture..

What gives?

Advertisement
Normal maps are rendered througn the shader when using DirectX. Modelling packages are built to automatically show them (as well as all the other effects). Same with a procedural texture. You are going to have to build that yourself and apply it to the model yourself.

The easy way is to import your art into an existing game engine, instead of building an engine yourself in DirectX.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!