• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lordikon

Creating a project that doesn't execute

This topic is 2950 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to create the base for a game engine, I want an engine project that has all of the base engine code, and then other projects can use the engine. I had the engine running fine on its own, but now that I've started pulling out non-engine code into a separate project, and removed the called to WinMain from the engine, I get a linking error:

error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup

In VS2010 if I go to that projects Properties->Configuration Properties->Linker->System->Subsystem and change it from 'Windows' to 'Not set' then I get

fatal error LNK1561: entry point must be defined

I don't need an entry point for this project, because it has an abstract base class that is meant to be derived from, from within a different project. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
I think what you want to create is a dynamic or statically linked library. If you look at the docs for those, or google for information, you'll get a better explanation than I can give. There should be examples for creating libraries in the SDK.

Quote:
Original post by Buckeye
I think what you want to create is a dynamic or statically linked library. If you look at the docs for those, or google for information, you'll get a better explanation than I can give. There should be examples for creating libraries in the SDK.

I might be able to do that, however, it seems like that should be optional. For example, if I have 5 projects in a solution there should not be a requirement that 4 of them be DLLs in order for me to be able to even properly link my project.

EDIT: I might be wrong about that though. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

There's static linking (.lib) and dynamic linking (.dll). With .dll, you need to include them with the executable. With .lib, they get included IN the executable when linking it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!