• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tmarques4

Network API

This topic is 2890 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody.

I've been programming applications for the Linux platform for a long time now and never bothered to add some networking capabilities to my 3D projects, I know that Winsock gets the job done but it's only for Windows.

My question is, does anybody knows a Multiplatform Network API?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Winsock is almost Berkely sockets, which are the sockets everyone uses. The API is almost identical.

However, if you want higher level libraries, quite a few support Linux AFAIK. I believe Raknet does, if you want an action game oriented library.

nice list is in forum FAQ: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=15

Winsock implements Berkeley sockets from what I read, very interesting and the syntax is really basically the same, won't have trouble learning it.

That's what I was looking for, thanks for the help.

If you want a nice wrapper for Linux, I suggest Enet, or boost::asio.

If you want to program sockets directly, the man pages for socket(), bind(), listen(), accept(), connect(), select(), recv(), send() and gethostbyname() document what you need to know for TCP; substitute recvfrom() and sendto() for UDP. However, man pages are not tutorials. Beej's Guide is a pretty good tutorial (it's linked from the Forum FAQ).

Good luck!

I'm researching right now and I may be leaning more towards "C++ Sockets".

Thanks for the help and the informations.

Most APIs seem to have a set of core features these days. However fewer have the extras related to debugging such as latency/loss simulation, replays and debuggers capable of visualising what is going on with your network bandwidth. If you have an object system where the network API automatically updates copies of objects in the network session then this kind of debugging tool is a must.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!