(absolute beginner) where to begin with python?

Started by
1 comment, last by kthxbi 13 years, 9 months ago
hi, first off ill say sorry if this is something which has been covered a million times over but from a brief search i couldnt see anything. my questions probably something which can be answered by any one of you pretty easily - i was wondering where to begin when programming games with python. years ago when i was probably 10 until i was about 14 i used to use Game Maker but i could never get over the feeling that i was cheating so i kind of got burned out on it. but anyway now i'm looking to get back into game creation and from looking around thought python offered a good mix of speed and ease of use.

thing is, ive seen people talk about a load of SDL packages and multiple different compilers or whatever for python and its pretty much melted my brain. i was thinking of just using winpython but would this not work on its own?

also, are there any tutorials or online course type things related to game creation in python?
cheers :)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kthxbi
thing is, ive seen people talk about a load of SDL packages and multiple different compilers or whatever for python and its pretty much melted my brain. i was thinking of just using winpython but would this not work on its own?
Yeah, you're making this way too complicated. The official python website contains the standard python interpretor for windows. From there your only decision is to use either the latest Python 3.X version or the latest Python 2.Y version. The only reason I'd suggest not using Python 3.X is whether some of the libraries you want to use are compatible with Python 3.X. From what I can tell Pygame is compatible with Python 3.X and Pygame is a wrapper around SDL so if you just want to start with 2D games for awhile you can probably start there. Otherwise go with Python 2.Y which is very stable and a lot of libraries (including Pygame) will still work with it. Don't dwell on it too much. You can always switch and the changes probably won't hurt you too bad.

So, get Python from here and also look at the 'documentation' pages which include tutorials on Python. Then get Pygame from here. Again, the website contains some tutorials. That's all you really need. Eventually you may want to get a new IDE for Python since the one that comes with Python isn't that great.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

right, thanks man :) i took the plunge and am working thru my second beginners tutorial now to try and drill the bare bones in before i get ahead of myself :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement