• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Game Engine question.

This topic is 2773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A while back I came and asked a question about game engines, and coding, and c++ because I wasnt understanding the mechanisms behind it. We'll I was still confused when I left so I thought about the question I wanted to ask.

Someone has said to me (you can't make (insert action) happen because the game engine wont allow that.

So My question is, can you not alter a game engine? I thought a game engine was just a combination of code to make producing a game easier and faster. But can you not just re-write an area of game engine to manipulate it to behave the way you want.

Ex.
Your current game engine doesn't allow your gun to shoot grenades.
--> so, why cant you just rewrite some of the engine to allow your gun to shoot grenades?

Thats where I was confused at. The guy said "the game engine wont allow that" so definitively, like it was impossible to alter it.

tl;dr = If your current game engine wont allow (insert action), then why cant you just rewrite, or add, or subtract, some code until it performs the way you want it?

Advertisement
Well, it depends on the precise reason. I can think of a few circumstances under which someone might say "the engine can't do X".

1. The person lacks imagination. Particularly if you're talking about something like the UDK which draws on a large modding community, they might just not consider something outside the genre possible.

2. You don't have access to the source code, and the feature you want can't be done without access to the source code.

3. The feature is incompatible with major design decisions that were made during the development of the engine, requiring a lot of redesigned and rewritten code and introducing lots of incompatibilities.

Quote:
If your current game engine wont allow (insert action), then why cant you just rewrite, or add, or subtract, some code until it performs the way you want it?
Sure thing. Just subtract all the code, then rewrite it to do what you want (as well as everything it did in the first place). But the reason you were using a preexisting game engine in the first place was so you didn't have to write that from scratch, and occasionally that means making concessions to the available technology.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement