Little oddities when going VC2008 to VS2010? Fixable?

Started by
4 comments, last by Vexator 13 years, 9 months ago
I'm coming from the VS2008 Express edition to the new 2010 version, and there are little things that really struck me as odd.

1. Missing count of errors/warnings in 2010.
imaged.png
VS2008

imagew.png
VS2010

I may be an old dog, but I guess I'm really used to always seeing the "0 errors and 0 warnings" message when compiling, so without it I feel kinda lost. It's also nice when solving a problem where you have 100s of errors, so you can tell if a change you've done reduced that number.

2. Enabling Word Wrap in [Compiler] Output window no longer hides the horizontal scrollbar.
imagev.png
VS2008

imagexs.png
VS2010

With today's widescreen monitors, vertical space is extremely hard to come by, so any bit helps. Even turning on Word Wrap gave a few extra pixels by removing the unneccessary horizontal scrollbar. But in VS2010, it simply gets disabled, not hidden! Why not!? :(

So with those two things in mind, I'm wondering about two questions:
a. Are there any logical reasons for the new changes? For example, is seeing the # of errors and warnings somehow a bad/unneccessary thing that should be phased out?
b. Is there any way of getting those 2008 features working on 2010? I couldn't find any way thus far.
Advertisement
About oddity 1, it looks like they're simply trying to clean out the unneeded lines in the output to make it more clean and easy to read.

I also know that you _can_ find the number of errors, warnings, in the Error List window.

However, I really do think it's worth it to have the number of errors/warnings as a line in the Output window. Am I the only one who finds it valuable/important enough to warrant inclusion?
Quote:Original post by shurcool
About oddity 1, it looks like they're simply trying to clean out the unneeded lines in the output to make it more clean and easy to read.

I also know that you _can_ find the number of errors, warnings, in the Error List window.

However, I really do think it's worth it to have the number of errors/warnings as a line in the Output window. Am I the only one who finds it valuable/important enough to warrant inclusion?

The number of errors and warnings is displayed when there are errors or warnings. If the build succeeds without errors or warnings, it's redundant to include the same information again.

You're right about the horizontal scrollbar though. That's just annoying.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
That would be great if it were so (although I still think seeing "0 errors, 0 warnings" is kinda nice, because it's the first thing I look for after recompiling).

However, when there are errors and/or warnings, they are simply listed. There is no total count at the end.

Ahhh, I see what's happening. The error count is listed in C# projects but not C++. Weird.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
personally, i miss the error/warnings count as well. felt good after fixing a few things to see the error count decreasing :)
Wunderwerk Engine is an OpenGL-based, shader-driven, cross-platform game engine. It is targeted at aspiring game designers who have been kept from realizing their ideas due to lacking programming skills.

blog.wunderwerk-engine.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement