• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kevn

Laptop for development help

This topic is 2866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This isn't directly a programming related question so apologies if i'm posting in the wrong forum. I am going to be attending a university in about 2 months majoring in computer sciences and am currently picking out a new laptop that will be used mainly for programming/game development. So it will be running programs like microsoft visual studio 2010, adobe products(photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, etc.), microsoft office, blender( or maya/3ds max/ any of those other costly ones if i feel like forking out the money). I may also be playing one or two games on it but not often.

so my question is if its worth spending $190 more to upgrade the processor from i7-740QM (1.73ghz) to i7-840QM (1.86ghz)

also if I will ever be needing 8gb of memory or would it be better to downgrade to 6GB, subtracting $95.

Advertisement
Get a laptop with a big screen and relatively nice specs. 6GBs is fine, it's not like you're going to load up the entire game into memory. Heck in that aspect, even 4 GB will cut it considering I have a 32 bit cpu so there is only 3.25 GB available to me and my PC handles a most things (with the exception of the more cutting edge stuff like Crysis on full settings).

Thank you. I think i'm going to go with the cheaper processor too. I doubt its going to be a huge increase to get the better one.

Ehh, today's technology is incredible. My dad has bought me the 8800 GTS from EVGA and that thing was extremely powerful just 2-3 years ago maybe. Now we have Skynet performance 64-bit CPUs with 6 cores running at frequencies above 3 GHz that can handle everything on their own whereas my computer does the same with the extra graphics card and still lags. It's really incredible :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!