• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
giugio

Equation and mesh

This topic is 2955 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy.
i have an equation , for simplicity the cone equation, I can create a 3d mesh model from this equation?
There are methods for speed up the computation of 3dmesh from equations?
I must do a analisys study of function
or for draw what i wont in triangles and vbo?
thanks.
sorry for my english.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by giugio
Hy.
i have an equation , for simplicity the cone equation, I can create a 3d mesh model from this equation?

Yes. If you have parametric equations, just triangulate the parameter space and map the vertices through the equations. If you have an implicit equation, use marching cubes.

Quote:

Don't worry about speed until you have something that works.

Quote:

A mesh may not help much here...

Quote:

What?

Quote:
Original post by giugio
Hy.
thanks.
sorry for my english.
Is this related to your other thread on rendering of coordinate system axes using cylinders and cones? In any case, building a cone mesh is simpler than what you seem to be describing here.

A (typical) cone consists of a circle of vertices, and a single vertex for the 'tip'. Generating the coordinates for these vertices is trivial, as is generating the connectivity information. Just build a vertex and index buffer for the cone at program startup (or whenever), and then render it whenever and wherever needed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!