• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Markhor

2D and 3D engine to use

This topic is 2870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I found a "complete" list of engines on Wikipedia, went through most but not all of them that were C++, and it has me asking: are there any C++ game engines? Not graphic engines, I was looking for something complete.

If one does not readily exist, should I default back to Python+Panda3D?
I have looked and understand it, but will be using C++ for my profession, game programming in my spare time, and was wondering which would be better.

I have 3 games in mind, one's major, other 2 are minor. Surprise: the major is a resurrection. I want to resurrect SimFarm. The other two contain a Master of Orion 2:BaA "remake" for modern PC's, and the other..is too sketchy to post. Not worth my rambling.

So. Ideas? I'm almost guideless and want to know from people who know what they're doing.

Advertisement
As far as I care to see, there are three major C/C++ options. There are others very similar to these but these represent the major "groups" of game libraries.

SDL [or allegro]:
Not 3D, but with support for 3D via OpenGL. You can push OpenSceneGraph into the mix pretty easily for a 3D graphics solution if the need arises. Otherwise they are very complete libraries. Allegro is more full-featured but SDL is more stable and is considered a "standard" of sorts. You could also just use the i/o and sound features of these libraries to supplement a more graphics-oriented library.

DarkGDK:
A very complete game engine based on DarkBasic made available for free (but works only with Visual C++). Somewhat old and inactive - still requires the Feb. 2009 DirectX SDK, for starters - but easy to learn and easy to use.

Ogre3D:
Yes, it's a graphics engine, but it uses a plugin architecture and that lends itself to extensibility. For example, it works very well with CEGUI, Bullet Physics, and OIS, which fills in many of the holes to make it a pretty solid game engine. Definitely the most powerful of the three I've listed, though a bit difficult to learn well.

As of now I'm looking at DarkGDK. Ogre3D might be a useful graphics engine for most, but, I looked at it and was under the impression that only their 3d file format would work with it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!