• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectX flags

This topic is 2771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn computer graphics programming trough DirectX and C#. First thing I noticed is that a lot of methods have some kind of flags as arguments, so my question is: what do they are used for ?
I guess they are somehow used to optimize my code (correct me if I'm wrong), but I would like to know how each flag affects my application. And since I'm new to DiretX just searching msdn won't be good enough for me. I'd like something with more details and explanations, so can someone recommend me some tutorial, site, book... anything really.

Thanks.

Advertisement
You haven't mentioned which version of the API you are using, but the D3D10 book linked in my signature below is a good starting point. It goes from beginning concepts all the way through to detailed sample implementations, so go take a look at it!

Can you give an example of the kinds of flags you're talking about?
Quote:
And since I'm new to DiretX just searching msdn won't be good enough for me.
You should be able to get all the information you need by referring to the MSDN docs, the DirectX SDK examples, and the various online references and tutorials that are available. If you get stuck on something in particular though, you can always ask about it here.

Thanks for recommending the book, I'll take a look.

And yes of course I cangive tou an example (there's plenty of them). When I create the Device I pass CreateFlags to the constructor. Among all flags contained in CreateFlags enumeration there is AdapterGroupDevice for which msdn states: "The application requests that the device drive all heads that the master adapter owns (this flag is illegal on nonmaster adapters). If the flag is set, the presentation parameters passed to Device should be an array of PresentParameters that contains exactly NumberOfAdaptersInGroup elements. The runtime assigns each element to each head in AdapterOrdinalInGroup numeric order.", which I don't understand because of terms "heads", "master adapter" and such. Another example would be that DisableDriverManagementEx and DisableDriverManagement, according to msdn, differ only in weather or not some method will fail, which would mean that DisableDriverManagementEx is useless, which confuses me. I know I'm wrong but I don't know why. I would like some site/tutorial/book that explains those stuff.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement