Where do I start?

Started by
5 comments, last by TheRealDeal 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I'm a newbie to game development and it's always been my dream to create my own some day. My question is, what programming language should I start with? Thanks.
Advertisement
Look at some examples of Java, C, C++, C#, and BASIC, and think about which you think you'd like to use. Never any shame in BASIC or Java; they work. From there, find some free eBooks and figure out what you want to do with the code first.
If you've never done coding at all, start simple. A simple "Hello World" works great, but a program that lets you talk to it and get a response will work as well.

Your choice. I'm almost convinced, from an "unbiased" standpoint, all languages are capable of the same thing.
Markhor has pretty much touched up on the main idea by saying that "all languages are capable of the same thing." (well, almost XD)

I'll spare you all the details of why something should be learned and why it shouldn't. At this point, it's important that you choose a language and stick with it, there is no way otherwise. Here's the languages that are generally suggested as the best for a beginner:

-C# (<-- Windows users only)
-Java
-Python

Those are the most that I hear of. They're easy to learn and way easier to use than the more low level languages like C, C++, or Objective-C and it's somewhat awkward syntax. Again, it can't be stressed enough: pick one and learn. Don't think too much into making "the right choice." The right choice is to pick a language and learn. When you gain experience in programming, you'll be able to tell on your own which language suits you best :D

Yo dawg, don't even trip.

Wow, thanks! You just took a whole lot of stress off my shoulders..
IMO a good starting point is Java or C/C++.

These languages have a good following and your ability to find resources will be greatly increased.
Quote:Original post by Kalten
IMO a good starting point is Java or C/C++.

These languages have a good following and your ability to find resources will be greatly increased.

also some of the tougher languages for beginners to get their heads around...
My vote goes out to Java. I started with it and I never felt overwhelmed or overly confused. I've actually found learning C++ to be a bit more of a pain, but having a background in Java has made quite a difference compared to previous attempts years ago.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement