• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

books for JAVA programming for games

This topic is 2774 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a book at my local library that is like over 5 years old, and it seems like this would make it out of date. I know how to program in java, and have taken a class with recursion and some other ideas that are useful in programming, but I want to know if this book is too old and won't have as good of information as a new book about game programming. I am going back to college in about a month and will for sure have better and newer books there, but if this one is sufficient then I could knock it out before I head back to school and do it. I am very busy with other things, and do not want to do this however if it isn't a good use of my time.

Is it?

Advertisement
Well maybe if we knew what book it was?
There aren't many Java game programming books to start with now that I think about it...

Anyways, there hasn't been many changes in regards to game programming and Java these past few years, so I'd guess you could get the code to work with latest Java SDK without much problems.

It'd be good practice to make some games in Java IMO.

A good topic because Java is a bit evasive for game documentation. I threw my hands up in the air and gave in looking at APIs and books - I'm just starting with the Graphics2D library(part of the standard Java libraries) and having cracked multiple keyboard button presses I am convinced I can make a decent 2D game with just the standard library alone. Might even be able to make a Wolf3D clone if I put my back into it!

Anyway, the book I have on Java game dev is Martin Wells' one on Mobile Phone games. Had it since...2004? Creating a small game for your own phone might be an ideal starting point - because its always to hand if you want to impress yer mates! ^_^

http://www.amazon.ca/Beginning-Java-Programming-Jonathan-Harbour/dp/1598634763/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279624963&sr=8-1 I have the first edition to that book and it's pretty good. Walks you through building an asteroids clone. That said, looking into an OpenGL implementation or library in Java is also a good option. The Java2d library does work pretty decently when you're not concerned about performance. I've been using Slick2d, which is a wrapper around the LWJGL. It's worked pretty nicely for me so far.

Ive also just started to look over Java2D, hopefully all goes well! and ive went through Jonathan Harbours "beginning game programming for c++(when i was unsure what language to pick, but i went with Java!), it was pretty good, so I would imagine the Java book to be good as well.

Ok, well I am still somewhat unsure as to whether or not it would be beneficial to spend my time looking at this book or if I should just wait until I go back to college to get a newer book (most likely).

Book wise, any old game programming book should help. Java is just a different tool for getting the same job done. The concepts and ideas will be the same whatever programming language you use.

Java 2D is a pretty nice graphics library for simple game programming, although like any library it does have quirks and annoyances. The problems I have found with Java 2D tend to be flicker and screen tearing issues. Image management can be irritating too.

Another nice library for Java graphics is Processing. I find it nice for getting pretty looking graphics into a prototype very quickly.

If you would like to code games in Java I would strongly suggest investigating LWJGL. The documentation is a little lacking in places, but if you are already confident with Java figuring it out by looking at examples in the wiki and the source code is not too difficult. It is also a nice way to learn OpenGL. If you are not confident linking native libraries in your Java program I would avoid LWJGL for a little while though.

Processing
LWJGL

You may also find One JAR useful for distributing Java games made with LWJGL as you can use it to include the native libraries in a single JAR really easily:

One JAR

Hope this helps :)!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement