How to use OpenGl with OpenAl?

Started by
1 comment, last by altich88 13 years, 9 months ago
Hi,
Basically I'm happy with making some very basic games using OpenGl & C++. These are all built around a template from uni, which looks to make use of alot of nehe's stuff regarding sorting out the window, reshape and display functions etc.

Now I'm trying to add some sound into my games, but I'm not sure how to do this with OpenAl. I can't find any tutorials that combine it with OpenGl, and I have no idea how to adapt the basic OpenAl tutorials (that play a basic sound for example)to a game program that has a display loop instead of a main for example. Many tutorials also use "alut.h" which seems to be no longer included in the SDK.

I've just about managed to install the OpenAl SDK and link to it so that I can include the headers, but I don't know where to go from here.

At the moment all I'm after is very basic sound for simple effects - gunshots, explosions etc. in simple 2D games.

Advice, links to tutorials or template examples would be all be welcome.

I probably haven't included enough information so sorry in advance and please ask away.

Cheers.
Advertisement
Try reading this OpenAL tutorial you shouldn't have any problems integrating with the OpenGL code I bet.
I had a quick look at that but unfortunately it uses "alut.h" which is no longer included in the SDK. :(

Cheers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement