• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
VitaliBR

Window of Configuration

This topic is 2864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to read a tutorial that teaches and helps to create a window that opens before the game to the player select settings (resolution, quality ,...)
Searched but found nothing about

Thanks

Advertisement
I don't know how helpful this'll be, but I believe that what you describe (for Windows, at least) is covered in the book '3D Game Engine Programming' (Zerbst).

You could also look at the Ogre source code, as Ogre includes this feature as well (IIRC).

I'll try to look at the book, thanks.

I want something:

Opens before the game, and after clicking OK the game opens with the settings chosen

Quote:
I want something:

Opens before the game, and after clicking OK the game opens with the settings chosen
Yup, that's what's implemented in the book I mentioned, and also in the Ogre engine.

What you posted there is a simple modal dialog, which can be done with straight-up Win32. Look for tutorials or resources on making dialogs with C++ using Win32, and that should get you on the right track.

I thought about making a "program" separated, where the player chooses the graphics settings and the program saved in a file, and the game loads these settings

You can absolutely do that, if you want. In fact if you want to go that route you can do it in C# with the Forms designer, which should make your like a lot easier.

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't find in the Book =/
The discussion begins on page 63. (At least in the edition I have.)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!