Dirver for the ps3 controller and the xbox 360

Started by
1 comment, last by Ravyne 13 years, 9 months ago
Is there a dirver program thats out there that has a driver for windows, I relly like the ps3 controller because of the way it fits in my hands and the motion controller aspect of it also, in additon is there also a dirver for the xbox 360 (wireless controller) if so what compents do you need to play it the pc, to back track a little I have a game that is programed in C++ and using the windows portion when I designed the game I have done some research and the driver for the ps3 cotroller, but no luck finding a program that doesnt crash after 25 min 23 sec into play that is my focus for something that is so diffucult, sure you can use an x box controller I just wanted to venture into the mission impossible catageroie are there any suggestion out there. SOS
Advertisement
The 360 wireless controller uses a proprietary communication protocol. Microsoft used to make receivers for the PC, but I believe they've discontinued the product... you could probably find one used. It just appears as a gamepad device, like any other.
I've got one of the Xbox 360 wireless adapters and it works nicely, however, there is one major fault with it -- Since it's wireless it has to be bound to each device you want to connect to each time you switch, so if you plan to take it back and forth between your PC and 360, its a minor annoyance. The bigger annoyance is that, to bind the controller to the new device, the controller needs to be turned on first; If the controller is currently bound to the Xbox, and the Xbox is within range of the wireless signal, you're going to turn on your Xbox without meaning to every time you want to bind it to the PC.

Any of the wired-veriety of Xbox 360 pads will work with your PC out-of-the-box though -- plug it in, Windows will download the drivers if it doesn't find them, and you're good to go. Its not as nice as wireless, but the way I figure it, I need 2 wireless controllers for the 360 for regular play and on the rare occasion that I have 3-4 people playing on one Xbox, I don't want to worry about whether or not I have enough batteries charged, so I went with wired for controllers #3 and #4. They can stay with the PC in the bedroom 99% of the time, and I grab them for the Xbox out in the living room when I need.

I do occasionally use the wireless adapter with my laptop when I'm on the road since I'd rather not deal with more wires than I already have to, and the binding issue doesn't come up, obviously -- also, battery life is better since the lappy is only powering the reciever, rather than a whole controller with rumble.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement