• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gretty

[java] Swing - Draw a String onto a JPanel Centred

This topic is 2867 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello

I am trying to find a way to draw string onto a JPanel but I want to make the string centred in the JPanel (both vertically & horizontally).

I am currently using the function drawString("", x, y) & I also use some maths to find the central point of the JPanel & the string parameter. But is there a function that can do all of this for me?

I know I could also put the string into a JComponent, then set the JPanel layout to some layout that will allign the JComponent in the centre, but I am using the JPanel like a canvas & drawing shapes & stuff on it, so I (think?) it would be easier if I just use a drawing function to display my string "Welcome blah....." in the centre of the JPanel.

thx for ur time.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by gretty
Hello

I am trying to find a way to draw string onto a JPanel but I want to make the string centred in the JPanel (both vertically & horizontally).

I am currently using the function drawString("", x, y) & I also use some maths to find the central point of the JPanel & the string parameter. But is there a function that can do all of this for me?

I know I could also put the string into a JComponent, then set the JPanel layout to some layout that will allign the JComponent in the centre, but I am using the JPanel like a canvas & drawing shapes & stuff on it, so I (think?) it would be easier if I just use a drawing function to display my string "Welcome blah....." in the centre of the JPanel.

thx for ur time.

Take a look at Font.getStringBounds(String,Graphics)

It returns a bounding rectangle (Rectangle2D)

so something like ..

Font someFont ...;

Graphics g = panel.getGraphics();
g.setFont(f);

Rectangle2D rect = f.getStringBounds("Some Cool String",g);

g.drawString("Some Cool String",panel.getWidth()/2 - rect.getWidth()/2 , panel.getHeight()/2 - rect.getHeight()/2);

//ofcourse you can set y to something else if you don't want to center it vertically

Looks like i made a slight mistake, the getStringBounds method that takes a String and a Graphics object is a part of FontMetrics , not Font , the getStringBounds method in the Font class wants a FontRenderContext.

so you probably want

Font someFont = new Font(Font.SANS_SERIF, FONT.PLAIN, 14);

Graphics g = panel.getGraphics();
g.setFont(f);

Rectangle2D rect = g.getFontMetrics().getStringBounds("Some Cool String",g);

g.drawString("Some Cool String",panel.getWidth()/2 - rect.getWidth()/2 , panel.getHeight()/2 - rect.getHeight()/2);

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!