• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Alternative to Sleep() ?

This topic is 2769 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy , i did a small application where a sprite (player) moves around the screen using keys.

The animation is done by successive blit of images, i use Sleep() function to limit the player's speed (if i dont to that , you press a key and u are at the end of the screen in less than a second). The problem is that Sleep() not only delays the animation but also the msg processing and the window is not processing anything until the animation loop is done executing (getting from point A to point B)

Any hints how can i fix that?

Advertisement
You're using a very basic "frame limiter", which just wastes time (sleeps) so the frame rate can't get too high. These systems are fraught with a lot of problems.

It's much better to actually measure the amount of time that each frame has taken, and either:
*Use this time value to run your 'Update' code a variable number of times per frame.
and/or
*Use this time value as a multiplier on your movement speeds -- e.g. position += speed * elapsedTime

As Hodgman said, use the elapsed time to calculate changes in your game objects. Here is a great article about time steps(and physics) if you are interested...

http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/

Also, adding a small sleep call to your loop isn't necessarily bad. A sleep call small enough that it won't inhibit your run time performance will help reduce cpu usage and allow other tasks to get processor time on single processor systems.

Quote:
Original post by Hodgman
You're using a very basic "frame limiter", which just wastes time (sleeps) so the frame rate can't get too high. These systems are fraught with a lot of problems.

It's much better to actually measure the amount of time that each frame has taken, and either:
*Use this time value to run your 'Update' code a variable number of times per frame.
and/or
*Use this time value as a multiplier on your movement speeds -- e.g. position += speed * elapsedTime

thanks , i'v implemented that , works like clockwork.

Quote:
Original post by Chadwell
As Hodgman said, use the elapsed time to calculate changes in your game objects. Here is a great article about time steps(and physics) if you are interested...

http://gafferongames.com/game-physics/fix-your-timestep/

Also, adding a small sleep call to your loop isn't necessarily bad. A sleep call small enough that it won't inhibit your run time performance will help reduce cpu usage and allow other tasks to get processor time on single processor systems.

thanks for the reference

Quote:
Original post by BTownTKD
P.S. NextEpisode1:

Your signature won't compile...
I don't see any errors in his signature. I haven't actually tried compiling it though so I could have missed something.

Quote:
Original post by boogyman19946
^ I believe you're missing a return statement :D

A return statement in main is not mandatory. There is an implicit `return 0;' at the end.

Quote:
^ I believe you're missing a return statement :D
main requires no return statement. The standard dictates that in this case the compiler will have main return 0.

hmm looks like you guys are right. I remember I used a compiler that wouldn't let me leave out the "int" before "main()," and it kept complaining about not having a return statement, but GCC doesn't complain about anything. This:

#include <iostream>

main()
{
std::cout << "test";
}

compiled fine o.o

Quote:
Original post by BTownTKD
I've spoke prematurely!

hahaha so much debate regarding my signature ,i will edit it for you :))

Quote:
^ heh, looks like an endless loop ^.^

it is, almost. (It will crash eventually since its overflowing the stack)

Couldn't help it. I had to laugh at that signature the first time I saw it.

As the above posters have said, you are better off using the delta time passed to control how fast you move, and you can also use it to control how fast your sprites animation moves. About Sleep(), I had understood that usually in a game, you don't want it because windows will grab the processor for other tasks regardless. But I've seen it also said like above, where you should use it to "help" windows share.

I've also heard of, but never used, the function yield(), which I understand does the same thing, but I don't know much about it. Does anyone know the specifics on Sleep() and Yield(), and maybe have a good article/link on how necesary they really are, if at all????

Another thing games sometimes do is wait for a vertical retrace of the screen. If your game is cheap to run, this will make it use less than 100% CPU and the results will be as good as they can be.

Quote:
Original post by kburkhart84

As the above posters have said, you are better off using the delta time passed to control how fast you move, and you can also use it to control how fast your sprites animation moves. About Sleep(), I had understood that usually in a game, you don't want it because windows will grab the processor for other tasks regardless. But I've seen it also said like above, where you should use it to "help" windows share.

I've also heard of, but never used, the function yield(), which I understand does the same thing, but I don't know much about it. Does anyone know the specifics on Sleep() and Yield(), and maybe have a good article/link on how necesary they really are, if at all????

in pthreads yield (or sched_yield) will cause the OS to switch to a thread of higher or equal priority if one is ready(If no such thread is ready it does nothing) while sleep (Which isn't a part of the thread library) causes the calling thread or process to go inactive for atleast x milliseconds. (This can allow a lower priority thread to run aswell and also means that your thread is set as inactive for that time)

Quote:
Original post by SimonForsman
Quote:
Original post by kburkhart84

in pthreads yield (or sched_yield) will cause the OS to switch to a thread of higher or equal priority if one is ready(If no such thread is ready it does nothing) while sleep (Which isn't a part of the thread library) causes the calling thread or process to go inactive for atleast x milliseconds. (This can allow a lower priority thread to run aswell and also means that your thread is set as inactive for that time)

Thanks for the clarification on that. Is there an article or maybe a topic of debate or anything at all, which has information as far as the actual use of the two functions. I'm curious if they are actually any use or not, and if they are, why??? I understand windows does the task switching on the processor on its own, so is there really a reason for your game to do it?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement