learning OpenGL

Started by
4 comments, last by nobodynews 13 years, 9 months ago
I have read that there are many tutorials for OpenGL, and I have also read that the majority of these are dated, often teaching deprecating methods of solving problems that have been replaced in more modern versions of OpenGL.

In short, I am looking for a up-to-date resources that will teach me the most appropriate way to solve problems using OpenGL.

The first set of tutorials that comes to mind to me are Nehe's, but I have heard that these are becoming dated (not sure if this is true or not). I also recall someone mentioning tutorials at http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you
Advertisement
Not sure what kind of features your are aiming to learn, I found this introductory tutorials which are suppose to be the latest An intro to modern OpenGL you can give a try.
Anyways, I will suggest you the important issue here is; if you're new to OpenGL learn the concepts, then move forwards to more specialized and specific topics depending on what you're seeking. Nehe is a nice place to start IMO.
Sounds good to me. I'll read this website's tutorials right now.
I would just like to say thank you as well, itzjac, because I was in a similar situation.

EDIT: Oh fantastic, that site has helped me realized I only have version 1.4 of OpenGL...suppose I should get around to updating that.
Please help me... From where will I get necessary *.h, *lib and *.dll files to run an OpenGL program? I do have the following library files

glu.lib
opengl.lib

But whenever I run an example, it asks for glu32.lib?
What to do now?

[Edited by - Shashwat on July 21, 2010 10:33:08 PM]
Quote:Original post by Shashwat
Please help me... From where will I get necessary *.h, *lib and *.dll files to run an OpenGL program? I do have the following library files

glu.lib
opengl.lib

But whenever I run an example, it asks for glu32.lib?
What to do now?
Did you look at the 'An intro to modern OpenGL' link itzjac posted? I found it fairly straight forward. It tells you what to download and where although it assumes you know how to set up your compiler after downloading the libraries. There are a *large* number of tutorials out there on setting up libraries with many compilers so I suggest finding one and reading it. If after both of those steps you are still having problems then you may wish to start your own topic on the problems you are having.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement